Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 1995 08:15:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   OK, I've done part of it..

I've added the true dependency stuff built on LIB_DEPENDS and
EXEC_DEPENDS and also modified pkg_add to try and load depends on
demand.  At the very least, it will bitch about missing packages
and quit.

I haven't done the "make install pretend to be a pkg_add" mods yet
since I'm still thinking about them.  It's easy enough to make pkg_add
eat a package directory, but then I have to run `make package-name' at
the end of a pipe just to get the stupid package name - it seems silly
when the makefile knew that information already.

I'm thinking that given my preference of hacks, I'd prefer to see
bsd.port.mk have an install rule that mimics pkg_add itself - it can
easily create a /var/db/pkg/${PKGNAME}/... directory with the
appropriate contents, and it knows more about any peculiarities of the
port (like changed PKG_ARGS) that might preclude its being registered
this way.

This will have to wait until you write your skeleton framework thing
so that we don't have to worry about people overridding install and
breaking all of this! :-)

						Jordan