Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:18:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-BETA Questions

Hi Y'all;

Some questions about 2.2-BETA

1.  Does anyone care?  Coming from (too much) Linux, and seeing 2.1.6,
    2.2-BETa, 3.0... it is not a stupid question.

2.  Assunming #1 is true, listen to this (Network Failure System; AKA NFS)
    scenario:

    *  Linux NFS server, Debian 1.2, Kernel 2.0.27, etc. (nomis)  with this
       in /etc/exports:

          /usr/src/FreeBSD    sendero.i-connect.net(rw,no_root_squash)

    *  FreeBSD 2.2-BETA client doing:

         # mkdir /NewStuff
         # mount -t nfs -o ro nomis;/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff
         # ls -al /NewStuff
         ls: /NewStuff: Permission denied
         ls -al /
         drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel      512 Jan  3 00:08 Linux-Transfers
         drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel      512 Jan 23 18:01 NewRoot
         drwxrwxrwt  13 root  sys        512 Jan  8 12:02 SourceControl

         [ /NewStuff is not there? ]  It is, but... ?

         # umount /NewStuff
         umount: nomis:/usr/src/FreeBSD: No such file or directory
         # umount nomis:/usr/src/FreeBSD
         # ls -altotal 2
         drwxr-xr-x   2 root     wheel         512 Jan  5 02:36 .
         drwxr-xr-x  28 root     wheel        1024 Jan 24 19:16 ../NewStuff

       Dunno about you but smells like a bug to me...
       BTW, works fine the other way around....

3.  Made a kernel with sound, etc...  Worked fine until some days ago.
    Now, all of the sudden, without me doing anything (really :-):

    # xmcd -debug
    Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
    Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6
    Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
    Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6

    # ls -al /dev/rcd0c
    crw-r-----   1 root     operator  15,   2 Jan 24 16:01 /dev/rcd0c
    # ls -al /usr/X11R6/bin/xmcd
    -rws--x--x   1 root     bin       1490836 Dec  4 03:03
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmcd
    # rm /dev/rcd0c
    rm: /dev/rcd0c: Read-only file system
    # df /dev
    Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    fdesc                2        2        0   100%    /dev
    # umount /dev
    # xmcd -debug
    Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
    Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6
    Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
    Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6

    What Gives?  Yes, I tried MAKEDEV.  Same difference.

4.  Shutdown questions:

    a.  When init goes to single user, prompts, asking for a shell.
        You press ENTER and it sits on ``(.???msg - Cannot exactly
        remember) not found''
        ^C will get you a prompt, most of the time.  Sometimes you get
        a fast roll talking about some malloc() failure.  Sometimes a
        ^C will stop it, sometimes it will not.

    b.  umount -a will leave things not in /etc/fstab mounted.
        It always leaves root mounted RW, only to fsck it at boot.
        Seems lie an unnecessary risk.

5.  More CD fun.  Once a music CD is played, you cannot mount a data
    cd because ``device is busy''.  Reboot cures.

6.  AHA-2940W with iomega Jaz connected;

    * If Jaz is not spinning, driver (?) complains about ``board did
      not respond'' or some such.  If you reboot, you stand a good
      chance to crash the system.

    Workaround:  Setup the AHA to include Jaz in BIOS scan, and to
                 send the Jaz a Start Unit command.  Also, do not
                 daydream when booting so jaz is still spinning when
                 aic7xxx.c looks for it.

7.  trying /stand/sysinstall from a live system dumps core either on
    (the equivalent of) fdisk or disklabel.

8.  Education Question:  What is the logic in assigning slice ID's?
                         I understand c to be the entire disk
                         (why `c'? Why not?)
                         Why does sysinstall assign 'e', 'f',
                         but (almost) never 'd'?

9.  Some safety checks in disklabel and newfs and/or kernel slice-
    partition handling could be nice.  If you create an 'a' partition
    which is exactly an overlap of a 'c' in a slice that dominates
    the disk, newfs will FREEZE the system.

    Workaround:  Make the 'a' partition 64 sectors smaller than the
                 'c', skipping that many sectors at the beginning.

10. Kernel Question:  On an i386 PC, how does one make sure that
    another driver does not use the same ISA ports as you do?
    You are trying to be nice and NOT use something someone else is
    already using.  There is a Linux thing to do that...

11. Another Kernel question:  A device driver for a controller that
    is available in ISA, EISA and PCI. How do you split the code?
    We put the PCI part in pci, the ISA/EISA parts in i386/{isa,eisa}?
    But the code is NOT i386 dependant.  We are putting it in dev/dpt.
    Is that a good choice?

Thanx a million.

Simon