Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:24:58 -0500
From:      George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some ideas on Tim's script

I mentioned this to Tim offline a while back, but I have some quick
thoughts on options for the scripts.

A bunch of us in NYC*BUG have been hacking on Soekris and Alix boards
with i386 for a long while, which lays the basis for some of these thoughts.

But first, with 8G images, I had to adjust the config.sh's SD_SIZE below
7900 for Kingston SD Cards to fit.  I can give more specifics if
desired.  Anyone else experience that?

In terms of /etc/fstab, I think adding tmpfs to the kernel would be
useful.  Without it, using md(4) for /var/log, /tmp and /var/tmp is
certainly a nice way to minimize disk writes.

It might also make sense to add rc_debug="YES" and rc_info="YES" to the
default /etc/rc.conf.  Most users are testing right now, and it's only
logical for the pool of people hacking on them.

And maybe to add the relevant ntpdate(8) settings to /etc/rc.conf.

Once there is a consistent and official ARM pkgng repo, it would be
useful to have that set in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

On that note: in the absence of USB and the ability to use it to do
ports stuff on the BBone itself, any decent ARM package repositories out
there?  I've seen some moving through this list.

pkgbeta.freebsd.org no longer contains ARM, only i386/amd64.  Any ideas why?

And again, thanks enormously for the work everyone has done.  It's
appreciated wider and further than I think anyone realizes.  As some of
you may know, we established contacts with CircuitCo who offered their
software engineer's ear.  Ping me offlist if you want to contact him.

George