Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:06:32 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD C/C++ Development Environment

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Matthias Trevarthan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I'm a Windows C/C++ DirectX developer turned FreeBSD systems administrator.
>
> What is the standard development environment on FreeBSD systems for C/C++?
>
> Does everyone really just use a Makefile, and editor like VIM, and a
> command-line compiler? Or is that just the distributed format, and everyone
> uses something else to actually write/debug their code?

I use an editor, {gcc,perl,whatever}, make and ddd for debugging. That's
one of the best things abount un*x: you have a lot of tools to choose from,
just pick one that fills your needs.

There are some IDEs, but I haven't tried them.

Besides, using standard tools (like make) helps with portability. In windows,
maybe that's not an issue, but when you want your code to compile and run
on BSD *and* Linux *and* solaris and other unix flavors it helps to use
standard tools and interfaces.

			Fer