Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 08:47:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Victor Tsang <victor.tsang@ieee.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and nat

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Victor Tsang wrote:

>I am new to FreeBSD and it is my first time to install FreeBSD.
>
>I installed FreeBSD 4.0 and am going to configure PPPoE and NAT. I
>followed the instructions found in FreeBSD.org web site and man pages
>and easily get PPPoE work. However, NAT don't work and its behavior is
>strange.
>
>My environment is one FreeBSD running as gateway, connecting my LAN and
>ISP using PPPoE and there is a Macintosh running Darwin in the LAN for
>my testing purpose.
>
>Either I don't enable NAT in rc.conf, or set ppp_nat="YES" , the
>behaviors are the same:
>
>In Macintosh, when I telnet to outside world, I can see the login screen
>and login prompt. Once I key in the user name and password, there is
>nothing to show on screen and eventually the telnet timeout and
>disconnected.

I had a similar problem with nat and a Win98 box.  If the FreeBSD
system seems to work OK, but the Mac hangs up on outside connections,
try adjusting the MTU to 1492 on the Mac.  I guarantee that the
current settings have MTU set to 1500.  I have _no_ experience with
Macs, so I couldn't tell you how to accomplish that.