Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:33:43 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie fetchmail help

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 07:11:28PM -0800, Gary Schenk wrote:
> Thanks to the readers of this group I can now send mail with Pine.
>=20
> I am doing something wrong with my fetchmail configuration, however. I am
> not even sure where to start troubleshooting.
>=20
> My .fetchmail.log file reads, in part:
>=20
> fetchmail: sleeping at Sun Jan 19 2003
> fetchmail: 43 messages for gwschenk at orangca-mls05.socal.rr.com (17784
> octets)
> fetchmail: reading message gwschenk@orangca-mls05.socal.rr.com
> fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(localhost.smtp)
> fetchmail: SMTP connection to localhost failed
> fetchmail: transaction error while fetching from pop-server.socal.rr.com
> fetchmail: Query status=3D10 (SMTP)

Fetchmail will often give those errors, but fetch the mail correctly.
I'm not really familiar with pine, but if you're using procmail as the=20
mail delivery agent, you need a line like

mda "/usr/loca/bin/procmail -d %T" in your .fetchmailrc.

However, assuming that you're not using sendmail, postfix or another=20
heavyduty agent, you'll still get those errors (though it will
successfully deliver the mail).

You might want to consider using getmail instead. FWIW, I've found that
it seems to work better.  I threw up a page on it, mostly as a reminder
to myself that might be useful at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/getmail.html

HTH

--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I don't get your crazy system!=20
Giles: It's called the alphabet.=20
Xander: Would ya look at that.=20

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy--