Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:39:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <Kai_Allard_Liao@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 on AlphaPC 164LX

Oliver Lehmann writes:
 > (boot dva0.0.0.0.0 -flags 0)
 > block 0 af dva0.0.0.0.0 is a valif boot block reading 15 blocks from
 > dva0.0.0.0.0 bootstrap code read in base = 560000, image_start=0,
 > image_bytes = 1e00 initializing HWRPB at 2000 initializing page table at
 > ff56000 initializing machin state setting affinity to the primary VPU
 > jumping to bootstrap code
 >
 > And the System stops...

This is the classic symptom of having your console pointed at the
wrong device.  FreeBSD is actually booting, but you can't see it,
since you're not looking at the currently defined system console.  The
SRM console gives you enough feedback through a non-console input
device to lull you into thinking you have the console setting correct.

If you're using a serial console, make sure you're connected to COM1
and you've told the srm console you're using a serial console via this
command at the SRM  prompt:

>>> set console serial

If you're using a graphics console with keyboard and mouse, make sure
you tell the SRM console to use it rather than the serial console via
this command from the SRM  prompt:

>>> set console graphics

After issuing one of those commands, make sure you power-cycle the box
or do a hard reset.  When the machine re-inits, you should notice the
POST process is much more verbose.

This is a FAQ.  Too bad we don't have an FAQ to refer people to..

Drew