Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:34:58 -0600
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Boehmer <paul@pboehmer.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple card setup possible?

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:24 -0500, Paul Boehmer wrote:
> I am getting ready to build a new workstation and was curious to see if
> anyone has any idea on when multiple cards will be supported (if at all).
> I have a ATI 9450 and a dual head ATI 9250 card, but have not been able to
> get them to work together, though they work individually.
>
> My current workstation is still on an older version of Xorg that is
> currently using a Nvidia card and two Matrox cards to power three heads.
> It would be nice if I could retain this setup, but with newer cards
> listed above.
>
> When both cards are installed, I get the following error in Xorg.0.log:
>
> ------- Snip ---------
> (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
> (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdevhw
> (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
> ----------------------
>
> full log @ http://www.pboehmer.com/Xorg.0.log
>
> >From what I understand (could be way off), the problem is related to the
> VGA arbiter in libpciaccess.  This is a little over my head, but I would
> be more than welcome to try any patches or any other suggestions.

There are a handful of components for this to work.  This has recently
been added for linux, so some multiple card setups are rumored to work
now.  I haven't looked at exactly what it is going to take to get it
working on FreeBSD though.  If someone wants to take this on, that would
be great.

robert.