Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2018 23:53:59 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To be retired soon...

On Jan 9, 2018 11:24 PM, "Mike Karels" <mike@karels.net> wrote:

> About 18 months ago, there was a thread that talked about retiring older
> storage devices and some ISA devices that have outlived their usefulness.

> Here's the list that John Baldwin posted.

> - Older storage adapters:
>   - aha (ISA)
>   - adv (ISA / PCI)
>   - adw (PCI)?
>   - bt (ISA /  PCI)
>   - aic (ISA / PCCard)
>   - dpt (ISA / PCI)
>   - ncv (PCCard / PCI)
>   - nsp (PCCard)
>   - stg (ISA / PCCard / PCI)
> - mse(4) (ISA-only non-PS-2, non-serial mouse)
> - joy(4) (ISA-only, was on various Sound Cards, etc., but I haven't seen
>   a "game port" on a modern box in a long while)

> I plan on marking these drivers with a new API (
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13818) in the coming days saying they will be
> removed in 12.x (meaning not in 12.0 or later). Man pages will be updated
> as well. I then plan to  MFC all this code to 11 shortly after. Current
> users will start to receive warnings. I get that we should have done this
> sooner given our loosely observed deprecation practices in the past, but
> we're doing it now (which beats how we've done this in the past, which is
> why I'm adding the gone_in() to allow things we plan on retiring in 13
> before 12-stable is branched). In about a month (sometime after Feb 15th),
> I plan on removing these from FreeBSD, absent any actual users reporting
> that recent FreeBSD 12 systems work. There are a number of special cases
in
> CAM that be removed once these are gone, as well as code that's only used
> by these drivers.

> I've spoken to Scott Long about these drivers, and he's 100% on-board with
> retiring them. As far as he knows, the only parallel SCSI driver that
works
> is mpt with LSI 2x320 cards, so these cards are (a) too slow to even be
> remotely relevant (b) have all kinds of problems that haven't been
resolved
> in 5-ish years of reports of malfunction. mse/joy are also at least 15
> years past their even marginal relevance.

> Comments?

> Warner

Agreed.  But for the future, note that mpt is used in VMware ESXi emulation
when FreeBSD/amd64 is selected (I think also for i386).  VMware tends to
emulate rather old hardware.  We should retain drivers commonly used
in virtual environments too.

Agreed. mpt is not in danger. Nothing on this list goes that description.

Warner