Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 00:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Basket Case <jon@technix.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: free & gpm -- has anyone ported them to FreeBSD

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Basket Case stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone has ported Free & GPM to FreeBSD -- I miss free
> > especially and some of my friends like gpm (from linux) and was wondering
> > if anyone has ported them over to fbsd yet.  If not, then will a gpm
> > executible work fine in the linux compat mode w/ fbsd?
>
> Hmm, I know gpm (Soren is working on support for something similar for
> FreeBSD, I don't know where he's up to yet), but "Free" is unknown to me.
>
> What is it?

It's a memory status thing, it displays stuff similar to:

          total         used          free           shared           buffers
Mem:      30984        29160          1824            10504             15060
+/- buffers:           14100         16884
Swap:    102812          668        102144

FreeBSD has a simialr display in the "systat" command, using the :vmstat
command.  Also check out "swapinfo"

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **