Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:45:06 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dynamic load of em/fxp/bge

I am trying to load the if_em, if_fxp, if_bge drivers
via /boot/loader.conf.

I've added

if_fxp_load="YES"
if_bge_load="YES"
if_em_load="YES"

The problem is that the bge driver doesn't load. It will
if I manually load it after startup with kldload. The issue
seems to be a dependency on miibus, both fxp and bge want
to load it, bge gets an error that its already loaded.

I tried putting 'miibus_load="YES"' in loader.conf, but the
same affect is seen.

I've tried from the boot prompt doing an explicit load of these
manually in each order, but to no avail.

As a work-around, I've placed an kldload if_bge in rc.network
before the 'ifconfig -l'.

Any suggestions on why the fxp/bge don't play nice when loaded
automatically, but will work if run manually? Is there a timing
thing that the fxp hasn't initialised its miibus yet?

I have:

fxp0
fxp1
bge0

in this particular machine. The bge will get miibus2 (eventually),
leaving fxp0 to have miibus0, fxp1 to have miibus1 I think.

Suggestions?

--don