Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:26:50 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        "Steven" <steven@trance.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slow Ethernet

At 07:31 PM 08.11.2001 +0100, Steven wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I setup an i386 machine running fbsd 4.3-release a while ago to run as a
>squid cache server for our network. There are other fbsd machines on the
>network (which incidently all have the same network card chipset - realtek),
>and they do not suffer from the same problem.
>
>The problem is that the machine can't seem to transfer files at faster than
>10k/sec over the network card. I was originally going to install the os from
>ftp, but it was transfering so slowely that I had to download the iso to
>another machine (I can shift upto 70k/sec to other machines from the net)
>and install from CD.
>
>I have done 2 full installs since and the problem is not solved. To give an
>example, last night I downloaded jdk (approx 27megs) to the machine and it
>was transfering at between 0.5k/sec to 13k/sec, so in the end i gave up. So
>I then had to download the same file to another fbsd machine (at between
>25k/sec to 50k/sec) and burn it to cd.
>
>I have replaced the network card with another (same chipset) and the problem
>remains. Is it possible this is due to the motherboard (which is an errrm,
>rather cheap and nasty unbranded one with onboard sound/modem/vga) as
>opposed to software? Any other ideas are welcomed.

Yeah...that can always be a possible issue.   Have you tried placing the
card in a different slot?  One thing I would have checked long ago is if
the card is negotiating properly with the hub/switched hub.  Is it half or
full duplex?  Is it 10 or 100 mbit?  One thing I recommend is to set it to
10 half and see if that solves the problem.  This issue could be the port
that its plugged into on the hub.  Have you checked that yet?  Have you
tried swapping the connections on the hub so that the machine that is
acting up is on a port that isn't and vice versa?  I bet once you do these
things you have found your problem.

- Jim

>Thanks
>
>Steven