Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:50:44 +1000
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Hogwash

Howdy,

Stop being an idiot, Theo. People here have some very valid concerns.
There is no guarantee that an upgrade to privsep is going to help,
especially when the people expected to get privsep working have no idea
what the exploit is. privsep also has the clear disadvantage of not
having rigorous testing, unlike most of the openssh codebase.
Why don't you CLEARLY state which versions of openssh are going to be
vulnerable? At this point in time you are clearly upsetting a lot of
people, and also making them unproductive.
You have insight into an exploit that by the sounds of it, only a handful
of people on the planet have. Instead of taking a professional approach
and notifying the ssh user community of which versions are vulnerable and
a list of possible actions to take, you are deciding to muddy the waters
with little information and telling everyone to upgrade or turn off sshd.
Grow up, and handle this issue in a professional manner.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au