Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 21:01:25 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.etext.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes with 6x86L-P200+

>Yes, another annoying Cyrix owner.  I won't ask you why it's not
>recognized as a Pentium because I don't care.  I bought a 6x86L-P200+ and
>a Mustang R534E motherboard with SIS 5571 chipset (yes, it really supports
>the 6x86-P200).
>The machine runs fine for an hour or two and then crashes regularly.  No
>obviously replicable action appears to be crashing it, other than that it
>generally crashes as soon as any significant load is incurred (eg, running
>glimpseindex, running a dump to tape, compiling libc). The same machine is
>currently running an Intel P5-133 with no problems (same everything, no
>changes other than motherboard jumper settings for the P5-133).

Two things I can think of:

Your memory can't handle running at 75MHz (most machines, including
your Pentium at 133, run the memory bus at ~66.7MHz).  Try turning the
memory to a slower "speed" in the BIOS.  (For example, if you have a
setting that sets the memory to x222 access (how many cycles per
word access), try x333)).

Your heat sink might not be tightly attached to the chip.  Even a
small gap, or looseness, will make the chip overheat and be crash-
happy.  Make sure there is a tight surface-to-surface connection
across the entire face of the chip and heat sink.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net