Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Restricted user ftp and shells

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> Is possible to restrict the ftp (no anonymous) for the users at their home
> directory without having them to go here and there taking files ?
>
> Or I must chmod all my dirs ?

If the permissions aren't set right then they'll do it anyway by copying
the file they want to their home directory then ftp'ing it.  You should
fix this properly by channging the permissions on everyone's directories.
To what, I don't know; 711?  I think this is what our University servers
use so Web ~/public_html works properly but you can't read what's in
someone's directory.

> Another thing, Is possible to have a shell with a limited set of command to
> use as default shell for remote users. I take ssh from the ports, but with
> 2.1.5 I am not able to compile it. Now I'll try at home with 2.2 -current.

There is a reduced command set shell I believe.  It depends on what you
want to do.