Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:15:07 -0500
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        Weihang Wang <weihang@vt.edu>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Got an error: Unknown option "DDB_CTF"

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Weihang Wang <weihang@vt.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Yes, now I still got problems. I have checked the
> release notes of versions later than 6.0, almost every version has not so
> few changes in their network protocols kernel. For example, some functions
> were replaced by others, arguments for a function is not needed in a later
> version, things like that... This will make the transport protocol does not
> work. But if I go through to adapt the protocol to a new version, that would
> be lots of work. Also, that's not what I supposed to do.
> On the other hand, I could not find other kind of instrumenting tools for
> FreeBSD either. E.g., Systemtap, LLtng, Oprofile e.t. which are all for
> Linux kernel.
> In terms of not on real machine, I have thought of using some kind of
> simulator, which could be used to get the performance statistics of the
> kernel. That is, I run the kernel and transport protocol on this simulator,
> and get information from this simulator. But again, not found a simulator
> for FreeBSD...
> BTW, I do not know how to use VM to do this... Could you explain a bit for
> me? Thank you so much.
>
> Best,
> W.Wang

Don't top post, ruins the flow of reading. VM = Virtual Machine. Grab
yourself a copy of Virtual Box or VMWare for your OS of choice and install
it, the rest is fairly self-explanatory. Once the VM is installed, grab a
few copies of VMWare and install them (If you have enough resources, you can
run more then 1 VM) and see if your code works on newer versions of FreeBSD.
You might be surprised what does still work w/ the compat libs from previous
branches.

Also keep in mind that if your 6x machine is forward-facing (i.e. has
access  to the world) and you happen across a security flaw, you will get
almost no support from the community in fixing it as it's a discontinued
branch and has reach it's EoL (End-of-Life). So you will be left to either
leave the hole alone or attempt to fix it yourself.

Anywho ... hth