Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 08:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        ragnar@sysabend.org
Cc:        mellon@pobox.com, tms2@mail.ptd.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> Copyright is not congressional law.  Copyright is written into the main
> body of the Constitution.

Jamie,

	You are right.  I should have remembered that ;(

Article I, Section 8:

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
respective writings and discoveries;

	which Congress has used a the basis of copyright law.  without
copyright law, we would not know how long the "limited times to
authors and inventors" get to hold their "exclusive right to
their respective writings and discoveries".   per the constitution,
one simply can not say what the time period should be.

jmb