Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      c/o Peter Gatsoulis <kjerstes@yahoo.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make errors on building CDRTOOLS-ATA

Thank you Scott, cdrtools-ata and cdrecord is now
built
but new problem when trying to determine if this ata
version of cdrecord sees the ide burner:

here's forwarded messg to author, but maybe i can get
some help here too..
Hi Soren

finally built cdrecord-ata w/ friend's help, actually
friend did all the work and put on Gmake, which was
the problem.

Anyways we now have cdrecord built as a binary and
evrything is patched and built as your readme's
indicate.

i su and say: cdrecord -scanbus

[root@XXXYYYZZZ] # cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i386-unknown-freebsd5.0) Copyright (C)
1995-2001 Jårg Schilling
cdrecord: Invalid argument. Cannot open /dev/ata for
control. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
-scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

we're puzzled, friend sais:

"Well I have never used it with ata devices... But to
my
understanding if you do a -scanbus it should scan the
ata
and scsi bus for targets...

Of cause you dont have a scsi bus.. So it cant be
scanned..

It should just check the ata bus for targets, but I
just
tested it and it reports that /dev/ata cant be
accessed,
which is hardly supprising since I have never know
there
to even be a /dev/ata!?!?

Anyway I did everything Soren had in his readme file
so I
guess its time to ask more questions on the lists or
to him"

can U point us in right direction?

Thanx in advance for any help