Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:36:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_add-- tbz vs. tgz

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:14:03PM -0700, Mark Miller wrote:

> I'm one of the unfortunate few who upgraded pkg_install just in time for
> the announcement that packages are going BACK to tgz format.  Is there an
> environmental variable or some other knob that will tell pkg_add to look
> for both .tgz and .tbz?  Or at least something that will keep me from
> recompiling it again?

All the 4-stable packages on the ftp sites should have been replaced
by the .tgz versions for RC2 now.  I guess the only .tbz packages
you're going to find will be ones for 5-CURRENT, and they're no good
to you.

However, you could try downloading the .tgz packages from the ftp
sites, and recompressing them:

    fetch fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/foo.tgz
    gzcat foo.tgz | bzip2 -c > foo.tbz
    pkg_add foo.tbz

	Cheers,

	Matthew