Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:20:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> you remember I had trouble with the DiskOnChip media/driver. I now
> have a board that uses compact flash and it works beautifully. I
> want you all to know about this board, because it is really
> inexpensive in every respect. Is a i468/132 MHz with 32 MB DRAM on
> board. It runs on a cheap 12V / 9W wallmount adapter, has no fans,
> doesn't even need a heat sink. It comes with 3 x 100 BT ethernet
> ports ideal for router/firewall settop boxes. Here for you the
> kernel probes:

[...snip...]
> sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000ff

Ewww... Is this a good enough Ethernet chipset?  I've not had good
luck with any of SiS's stuff.  They seem to make, for lack of a nicer
word, crap.

> The only problem with this is that it isn't available unless we
> all place one big order to get it manufactured. Soeren knows how
> to do this he just doesn't have the venture capital to do it. The
> board can be ready for all of us if we find a way to finance it
> collectively.

I would be interested in one if the overall hardware itself is decent
enough, though I realize better hardware means more money.  If someone
runs it through some obstacle courses and the "junk" works without any
known problems, I'm for it.  I'm not in the position to buy more than
one.  I have friends that might be interested as well, though.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org