Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 21:21:31 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time calibration ?

In the last episode (Oct 25), Greg Lehey said:
> On Saturday, 24 October 1998 at 20:10:15 -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > Your ISP seems to run one two hops away from you at
> > Fddi0-0.lon7.Melbourne.telstra.net (139.130.239.228).
>
> Innteresting.  Where did you discover this server?  It's not in the
> lists, and it turns out to be the most accessible for me as well.

My standard procedure.  I traceroute the user, then ntptrace the last 3
or 4 hops :)  Cisco servers have NTP client/server functionality built
in, so many border routers can be used as NTP servers.  Lots of ISPs
may also have an "official" server; I sometimes check to see if ntp.
date. or mail.domain.com respond to NTP queries.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com