Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 09:55:01 -0600
From:      Barry Beckman <bbeckman@rackspace.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Open Source Hosting Solution

Hello,

Thought you might like to know about us.  Could you pass this on to the
appropriate individual(s)? Thanks!

We partner with RedHat.

Rackspace offers customized dedicated webservers to anyone who wishes to
move up to the power, reliability, and security of a dedicated server. Our
state-of-the-art network is fully switched using Cisco network gear. The
Rackspace network is multi-homed with DS3 to OC12 connections through
Time-Warner, Uunet, SBC, Digex, and Intermedia providing fast, reliable
connectivity.

Upgrading is fast and easy giving you the ability to adjust your server
according to your needs. You are given the root password so you have full
control of your machine, no hassles or security issues that come with
sharing. Reliable, flexible, affordable.

Our technical staff is on hand 24x7 to assist with any technical issues and
ensure that your server is on-line and functioning according to your needs.
There is never a charge for calling outside of normal working hours. If you
would like additional information about our "fanatical" customer support,
please visit http://www.rackspace.com/support/index.php3. You can also
access a Flash version of our Spheres of Support there. The Spheres of
Support outline everything that Rackspace offers in the way of support that
is free as well as fee based. I think you will agree that we offer a large
amount of support for free that our competitors charge for.

There are no bandwidth restrictions, your traffic will be burstable beyond
what you sign up for. If you exceed what you sign up for you will be billed
at the overage rate, $4 per 1GB. You can upgrade bandwidth at any time to
avoid overage fees and would then only pay the incremental price
difference. You will have access to a Stats area which will provide
information on exactly what your server has pushed to date as measured at
the switch. We will also install the stats program Analyze2.2 to track
bandwidth use per domain (mail traffic not included) at no additional cost.

Your server will be monitored 24x7 with staff on-hand around the clock to
ensure your server is on-line and functioning as you need it to be. We use
a standard ping monitoring system to ensure the servers are up and running.
Should a server fail to respond, the entire support team is paged and
emailed. Since they are located on the same floor as the data center, you
can be assured they will respond quickly to resolve the issue. We are 100%
responsible for the functioning of all hardware components and will replace
any failed component immediately at no cost to you.

Rackspace offers Unix (RedHat Linux / FreeBSD / Sun), NT, and Cobalt Raq
platforms.

All Unix servers will come with a standard install of RedHat Linux 6.2,
FreeBSD3.3, or Solaris7 which will include the latest versions of Apache,
Sendmail, Bind, and Perl. Rackspace Support will assist with initial
configurations for your first 5 sites and first 5 mail accounts to help get
you up and running (you will be responsible for uploading files and making
updates at Internic).

Unix servers will also have the program "Webmin" installed free of charge.
Webmin is a browser-based program that allows for point and click
administration to add domains, mail, ftp, DNS and perform other
administration all through a web based interface. For more information
please visit our knowledge database at:
http://support.rackspace.com/cgi-bin/racksup/search

You will have root control of your Unix server with full Telnet and FTP
access and can add as many domains as you like, as many mail accounts as
you like, and can install any additional software you like on your server
without restriction or limitation.

NT servers will come with a standard installation of NT Server 4.0, IIS
4.0, VNC, and PCAnywhere 9.0. Windows 2000 will come with a standard
installation of Windows 2000, IIS 5.0, VNC, and Terminal Services. You will
have full FTP access to your server with root control and are welcome to
install any additional software you like on your server(mail, database,
commerce). If you need assistance with installations from disk you may
forward us the disks and we will place the information on the server for
remote install at no additional cost.

Rackspace also offers the Cobalt Raq3 servers. The Raq interface allows for
point and click administration for adding domains, mail, ftp, and other
administration through a web based control panel. The control panel is
re-distributable so that multiple accounts can be setup where users will
have access to their own control panel with restrictions set from the top
down. The Raq is recommended for hosting 200 sites and is ideal for
reselling accounts due to its hierarchical control panel.

Raq servers come with a Linux kernel which includes installations of
Apache, Sendmail, Bind, and Perl.

Rackspace also offers such advanced services load balancing, firewalling,
e-commerce, and web based email. For more information on our advanced
services please visit: http://www.rackspace.com/products/

To price a server to your specifications please visit our on-line pricing
tool at: http://www.rackspace.com/goconfigure/pricing.php3
*You may submit the configuration you are interested in using the pricing
tool, a contract will be forwarded for your review.

Rackspace provides next day setup. Your server will be on-line the next
business day from the time we receive the contract.

Rackspace offers 24x7 technical support, 24x7 server monitoring, 99.999%
up-time guarantee, and fast, reliable connectivity for your server needs.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free
to contact me.

Barry J. Beckman
Account Executive
www.rackspace.com