Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:19:27 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Doug Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sendmail Configuration

> I'm trying to configure sendmail and would appreciate advice on a
> number
>
> of issues
>
> Firstly, "sendmail.cw" & "relay-domains"
>
> To quote from one of your earlier messages "sendmail.cw is where
>
> you list domain name that you want sendmail to accept mail for (as
>
> being for that local machine)."
>
> so since I want bryden to accept mail for all my LAN machines I

Nope, just the names of the server (virtual names), if you are hosting
several domains, and you want your server to receive mail as:

user@domain.com
or
user@anotherdomain.com
or
user@diferentdomain.com

and dont forget to create an MX record of this domain in your DNS server
pointing to this server.

> I made up a "relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file
>
> to "relay-domains"

If your servers are all in the same subnet, you can do it with just 1 line,
like this:

10.10

asuming your server are in the 10.10.x.x subnet.

> Secondly, I tried running the following as per your suggestions a
>
> while back
>
> makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable

Its supposed that you have already a file called /etc/mail/virtusertable
with maps in there like:

webmaster@domain.com            john
webmaster@otherdomain.com    mike

And you have  included the line:

FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl

in your sendmail.mc config file, & rebuild the sendmail.cf file from there.

> makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

Its supposed that you have already a file called /etc/mail/access with lines
in there like:

popsite.net REJECT
1-500-fingers.com REJECT
1-host.com DISCARD
bill@microsoft.com REJECT

And you have  included the line:

FEATURE(access_db)

in your sendmail.mc config file, & rebuild the sendmail.cf file from there.

> Looked back in "/etc/mail" and now there is a new file,
> "virtusertable.db",
>
> but it only contains a line of garbage

Its not garbage, its a hased file (compiled in a hash tree for faster info
lookups, instead of parsing the text file).

> What haven't I done right ???

P.S. Dont forget to restart the sendmail process after this changes, look at
www.sendmail.org for several config options.

Have Fun...
Ales