Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 1995 03:43:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, ache@astral.msk.su, jkh@freefall.FreeBSD.org, security@freebsd.org, freebsd-foreign-secure@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: security list

> Treasury department has 12 sub-deparments (Offices?)
> Included are Customs and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms(BATF).
> (gulp), ande the Bureau of Economic Crimes(? Something like that).
>
> Any import that is not specifically controlled by some other department
> is covered by a "general import thingy(?!)" administered by the Customs
> folks. This includes PD software coming in via the internet, or for that
> matter, anything crossing the border into the US.
>
> The only folks having any vague interest in crypto/munitions that she
> could find are the BATF boys. And a (not complete) search has so far
> shown up NADA.

Perhaps we should simply wait a couple of months.  By then the senate
hearings will be over and the BATF (now simply the ATF) will be a
dismantled hulk with the various other departmental vultures picking
over its budget..  I don't think that the ATF is long for this world -
too many people blame it for WACO, among other things, and it's made
some powerful enemies.

It's sort of strange.  I've always wanted the ATF dismantled and
thrown to the dogs, but now that it's finally happening I can't help
but notice that it's happening largely due to the FBI's own collosal
screwups, not theirs!  The right thing is happening, but for the wrong
reasons.

It sort of puts a damper on one's ability to gloat properly.. :-)

In any case, my essential point is that we might want to wait just a
bit longer.  Things are in a state of flux and I wouldn't necessarily
trust any information received just now.  Even if it's correct, it may
only be correct for a relatively short period of time.

						Jordan