Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:58:54 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extended ipfw Logging

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 00:32 -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> INTRODUCTION
>
> I wanted to add some detail to the ipfw logging. Specificially,
> I wanted TCP flags. However, once I started coding, I decided
> why not toss just about every field of interest in. I have
> attached patches.
>

> WHAT THE PATCHES DO
>
> There are new fields for all packets. Data from the IP header,
> the IP ID, TTL, and extra fragmentation information is printed
> for all types of datagrams. TCP packets include additional
> information on sequence number, acknowledgement number, and
> flags.

Why not have the "verbosity" written in the matching rule?  One
surely doesn't want to bloat *all* logged entries (not even log
all denials, and maybe log some accepted packets too).  Expand
the filter description for the log verbosity level and reference
this field when the match is meant to log something.

I'm not saying that ipf(4) is the cure for everything.  But
looking at "man 5 ipf" here's what I really like about it and you
might, too:

log  = "log" [ "body" ] [ "first" ] [ "or-block" ] [ "level" loglevel ] .

Although the above "loglevel" is different from your verbosity
idea (it's a syslog facility.level pair) you might want to have
the best of both worlds in ipfw(4) and code syslog levels as well
as your verbosity controlling what packet characteristics to
print out and where to do so? :)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net