Date:      Mon, 3 May 2021 21:20:24 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timezone problems on -current

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 04:38:56AM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 06:52:22PM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
>
> > Up to now I've used only the line
> > ntpdate_enable="YES"
>
> Seems ntpdate isn't required if these are set in /etc/rc.conf
>
> ntpd_enable="YES"
> ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
>
> even on boards with no RTC.

Indeed it looks as if ntpdate is going away, replaced by
enhancements to ntpd.

Still, I think the timekeeping errors are caused by a somewhat
unconventional network setup on the machine having problems.
The rest of the hosts in my "data center" use ntpdate and
have no trouble keeping their clocks right, but those hosts
all have wired ethernet. The host with the wrong clock setting
uses an ethernet-to-wifi adapter. Can't be sure until more
testing is done. And, I might be wrong again.....

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska