Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:45:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

> > > Then adding the code into the tree is a 'bad thing', since it becomes
> > > unsupported.  If no-one is willing to incorporate/support the code, then
> > > it shouldn't be incorporated.
> > >

> > That philosophy guarentees one to failure. The code doesn't have
> > a chance of being supported till it gets exposure and people start
> > relying on it.
>
> No, someone has to integrate it (hence support it).

Nate's right.

Jukka Ukonnen's patches were passed around by Jordan on -hackers,
and I think sent to gnats around Christmas, so they should be
easily found in the archives by searching for "ukonnen".

I also have some local hacks that are similar but loaded via an
LKM and run against a device for access.  I'll put them up on
Freefall by tomorrow AM if I can test them against -current.

I haven't been eager to commit because I haven't had
a -current system until recently, because it should be reexamined
against the POSIX spec, have man pages written, peer reviewed, and
because personally I want a skeleton for rt kernels in an SMP
environment.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936