Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:21:19 -0700
From:      "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and hot-swapping

>Depends on what you mean.  Vinum isn't a hardware device driver, so it
>doesn't need to understand hot swapping.  If you hot swap a drive,
>Vinum handles the resulting events correctly.

So if I have a drive fail, say in a RAID 5 configuration, I don't have to
detach it at all? Just swap them out and vinum will automatically begin
rebuilding the array? Also, what would you say the minimum processor
requirement would be? I know RAID 5 is quite taxing compared to mirroring or
plain striping.

Thanks, Mike