Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:36:52 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za.@grondar.za>
To:        -Vince- <vince@mercury.gaianet.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org, Chad Shackley <chad@mercury.gaianet.net>, jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

-Vince- wrote:
> > Example: user suspects you may be a DOS user, and are likely to try
> > to type the "dir" or "cls" command every now and then (by mistake).
> >
> > In his home directory he places a script called "dir" that creates a
> > suid shell (silently) then prints the usual "command not found" error.
> >
> > He then phones you, asking for support, and tries to trick you into
> > running his script. Having "." in your path makes his trickery easier.
>
> 	Hmmm, that's only if we had phone support.... We don't :)  but do
> admins really go run a program that the user said won't run?

Don't pick details. The point is that there is the problem that you
could be tricked (somehow) into running a user's script instead
of a system binary. This can happen even if the "." is at the
end of your path if the program/script is not the name of a
system app.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key