Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:54:42 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDRecord not seeing CD-R

Alex Povolotsky writes:
>  <199906241419.SAA01459@shuttle.svib.ru>Alex Povolotsky writes:
> >I've just set up Tekram 310 SCSI adapter (works ok!), attached a cd-writer
> >to it, tested it as CD-ROM (works OK!),
> >
> >ncr0: <ncr 53c810a fast10 scsi> rev 0x23 int a irq 9 on pci0.10.0
>
> Alex, you silly boy, add
>
> device pass0
>
> to your kernel, enable POSIX realtime and NEVER try to run any disk-hog like
> tcl/tk while writing!

It was a year or two ago when I first tried FreeBSD and cdrecord for
burning CDs. Was so darn successful at it that before I finished the
batch of 50 or so CD's I was trying pretty hard to break it.

System was FreeBSD 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 or thereabouts. Cdrecord 1.6. Pentium
133. Before we knew about the F00F bug. Had a whopping 24MB of RAM.
Running X, twm as the window manager. Had a narrow Adaptec 2940AU SCSI
card. All 7 available SCSI ID's were used. Only one HD was inside the
PC. Everything else was one device to one external box/PS. It was a
mess. Had one Seagate ST15150N 4G SCSI drive, several other 1G SSCI
drives, one 1G IDE drive. Tape drive or two. And a 1st generation Yamaha
CDR-100 4x recorder.

Never did make a bad disk with the above. By the time I was finished was
running Netscape and "build makeworld" at the same time. And using exmh
for email. All connected to a moderately busy network segment.

And yes, each and every one of the 50 was Q.C.'ed after burning with my
own homegrown verions of "tripwire." Simply a glorified "find /cdrom
-type f -exec md5 "{}" \;"

While burning one CD I mounted the previous in the ATAPI CD to verify
it.

Don't remember if I was running cdrecord as root but know I had a root
xterm open in order to mount the new CD's. This exercise was so
successful we later purchased (3) P-II 233's for the purpose of doing
more of the same. But one thing lead to another and the P-II's were
purchased but no CD-R's. Eventually the Yamaha CD-R was moved to an SGI
O2 were similar success was found (the P-II's were doomed to a life of
NT, but before the end I rescued one and made a FreeBSD tape duplication
station out of it with (3) SCSI interfaces and (4) DDS-3 tape drives). I
do remember cdrecord on the O2 *had* to be run as root. So I made it
set-uid owned by root. Created a cdrecord group. Removed
execute-for-others from the cdrecord binary.

FreeBSD did not recogonize the Yamaha as a readable CD device so I could
not read the CD after writing using the same drive. Same for the SGI
O2, only difference was SGI's mediad knew how to automount a CD in its
internal CDROM drive.