Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 1995 08:04:27 +0200
From:      "Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78" <fiorio@lirmm.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modem (results)

Some time ago I asked a question about what 28.8K external fax modem
use for a PPP connection with FreeBSD. Her are a resume of the

The most used (no doubt, many more responses as the others) is :

USRobotics 28.8 sportster

behind we have :

USR Courier

Microcom DeskPorte FAST 28.8kbps

I was suprised to not receive any response about the suprafaxmodem. I
forward you a post found in comp.dcom.modems about it. What do you
think. Really nobody use it ?

Subject: SupraFaxModem 28.8 Best all-around modem - comp.dcom.modems #58578

In article <DEGsCK.5y3@midway.uchicago.edu>, dkakanov@midway.uchicago.edu (Dana Akanova) writes:
> [...]
|> to send it out to you, then you have to open your modem ...  I think
|> flash rom would be beneficial here even if it would raise the cost of
|> the modem.  Another thing is that the PPI modems do not support
|> asymmetric rates (If there are PPI people out there, both Calvin and
|> Stan on Compuserve have confirmed this).   One last thing, what's
|> going to happen to PPI/Hayes?  That lifetime warranty won't do you any
|> good if the company doesn't exist anymore.
|>
|> As for the Microcom modem, I was just overall unimpressed with the
|> modem.   It doesn't tell you on the LCD whether your connection is
|> V.34 (although I guess you could guess that by the connect sounds) and
|> after you're connected, how do you know what the asymmetric speeds are
|> (assuming the modem does support this feature).  The at\s command only
|> shows one speed -- I assume the receive speed.  Also, this modem does
|> not support Caller ID just like the USR.  I guess you could get the
|> DeskPorte Fast+ and pay all that extra money for that feature if you
|> really wanted it, but no thanks.  The modem is expensive enough as it
|> is.
|>
|> Which brings us to the Supra modem.  It supports all those features
|> that I listed, although people here will of course note that the flash
|> rom does not change the DSP.  Well, ok.  Other than that, it does do
|> pretty well as a modem overall.  It has the LED display which does
|> tell asymmetric rates, the protocol used, and even when there are
|> errors in transmission or receive.  Also, their support here on the
|> net is good and tons of people have them (which kind of adds force to
|> getting Supra to do something if there is something wrong).  The modem
|> of course has Caller ID and even has the ability to answer the phone
|> and tell if there is a fax machine on the other side (I'm not talking
|> about adaptive answer here but Silent answer).  I think the only other
|> modem with this ability is the Zyxel (which I haven't tried yet, but
|> their upcoming Supreme model looks good but I expect that to cost
|> $$$--even more than a Courier.  Heck the Elite 2864 already costs more
|> than the Courier).  The only down side FOR ME (you of course may want
|> to add things here) are that when testing these other modems, it was
|> noticeable that they all had higher throughput rates than the Supra on
|> 28.8 connects.  Things did seem to go faster.  I am sure that there
|> will be many who say that this is the most important feature, and
|> that's okay.  But for me, I wanted to have those other features as
|> well.
|>
|> Well, your comments are welcome.  Please don't flame me as I am only
|> expressing my humble opinion.  Yours will differ and that doesn't mean
|> either one of us is wrong.  One last thing, I didn't try the Motorola
|> Power modem just because it doesn't have a display.  The display to me
|> is very important (why?  I guess I am just a visual person who likes

Christophe.

            @ o o @                              (v o)
                              | There are two major products that come
 Christophe Fiorio            | out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD UNIX.
 email: fiorio@lirmm.fr       | We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
 http://www.lirmm.fr/~fiorio  | - Andrew Bulhak (acb@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au)