Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:02:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ambrisko@tcs.com
Subject:   Re: Anyone keen to help me get a Phillips CDD 521 Recorder working?

J Wunsch writes:

| As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
| >
| > We have the YMI gear ourselves, and have multiple burner boxes
| > scattered across different platforms, but that's no reason not to try
| > to push the envelope a little.. :-) We've been wanting to see if this
| > was even *possible* for awhile now.  Now at least one of us has
| > something that we can try a few proof-of-concept pokes at.
|
| I would use rtprio, btw.  Given the fact that even the fastest CD
| readers do not feed much more than 500 KB/s, and under the assumption
| that a burner is way slower, the probability of success ain't that
| bad.
|
| Of course, one should not run a "make world" in background... :-)

I'll checkout rtprio, and I'm sorry I don't have all the specifics
right now (you can probably find them at http://www.cdarchives.com) but
the Yamaha is a 4X writer with only 512k buffer.  This drive tends to have
under run problems unless you do burns at single-user level.  The issue
is that is takes 20mins to do the burn and someone might not think and
do parallel make worlds!  Also Kodak has a 6X writer and people may have
multiple writers.  I would think it would be way cool to produce reliable
CD-R's on FreeBSD by just plugging in a CD-R on the SCSI bus, but right
now I'm a bit nervous and wouldn't bet my day job on it.

Doug A.