Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        tom@chattpiano.com (Tom Rush)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loadable line disciplines

Tom Rush writes:
> The problem, basically, is that if the "ldisc_register()" function is
> used for a non-standard line discipline, a user program cannot determine
> which slot in the linesw table it was assigned to, and thus cannot set
> up the tty to use that discipline.

We ran in to the same problem but didn't bother solving it since
the line discipline number was always the same (7). However, this
would be a good change and although I haven't looked at your patches
yet it sounds very much like what I was thinking at the time..

Most likely will have to wait until 3.0 is branched in any case.

-Archie