Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 15:27:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        bvsmith@lbl.gov, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, gj@FreeBSD.ORG, me@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xfig.3.1.4 extension to support vi -C signals linkage

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> I have developed an extension to xfig.3.1.4 (Ref. freebsd/ports/graphics/xfig)
> that allows an adjacent xterm running 'vi' to send a signal on each ':w'
> that xfig interprets as a re-open & redisplay command.
>
> This mechanism is compatible with my previous work on vi ghostview & chimera.

I like the matchup, I wonder if there's some way to make something like
this work inside the standard ports setup.  There's not port of nvi (Keith
Bostic's latest version of vi) although it compiles easily on FreeBSD.  Do
you have pointers to your work on ghostview and and chimera?

I sure like the basic idea, a timesaver for sure.

> The sources are viewable from here:
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/
> as these:
> 		ports/generic/graphics/xfig/patches/
> 		src/generic/share/mk/text.mk
> 		src/generic/usr.bin/vi/
> 		ports/generic/print/ghostview/
> 		ports/generic/www/chimera/
>
> To try it:
> Apply the patches, compile, create a one line makefile with
> 	.include <text.mk>
> and then issue one of these commands
> 	make something.vfig
> 	make something.vhtml
> 	make something.vps
> My appropriate .ps .html or .fig viewer then starts, vi then starts,
> & the signal handling & any appropriate make rules are applied on every
> subsequent write.
>
> Makes for a sort of WYSIWYG effect with a .rof file & "make something.vps",
> make a handy web editor with "make something.vhtml", & makes a handy way of
> tweaking & viewing .fig file contents from vi, with instant
> zero additional mouse clicks necessary.
>
> Share & Enjoy :-)
>
> Julian
> --