Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:20:23 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc group master.passwd

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:50:20AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> Some people already _use_ UID 80 for other things.  Do we just screw those
> people over?  Besides, it's not like any competent sysadmin is incapable of

Those people probably do not mergemaster their master.passwd.  Thus
adding www==80 to the stock sources does not really create a problem for
existing systems (you are now probably going to mention YP).  Web server
ports can check for the existence of a `www' user and add it if not
there -- again not causing a problem for existing installations.  Over
time the stock user `www' will be in use everywhere and this will be a
non-issue.

> We do?  Geez, of my 9 FreeBSD boxes at home, only 1 has apache on it.
> That's a whopping 11%, hardly 'almost all' (which is what I assume you
> meant to say).  Granted, my machines aren't representative of all
> FreeBSD machines, but you can't assume that all FreeBSD machines are
> webservers.

No, but a large number are, and it is one of our bread and butter.  So
there is nothing wrong with giving web servering a little extra attention
in the base system.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)