Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:08:55 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   X pausing until mouse move (collecting commonalities)

--------------enig7D72AAF0F6ECDA9BD783A12F

> I'm trying to get a list of commonalities to better focus my=20
> troubleshooting.  So far, my two machines that are affected have the=20
> following in common:
>=20
> GNOME 2.22 (with hald)
> nVidia graphics card (though different drivers)
> PS/2 mouse
> dual core
> ULE scheduler
>=20
> My one machine that is not affected differs from this in that it has an=
=20
> Intel graphics card, USB mouse, and is not dual core (but HTT).
>=20
> It looks like Coleman has a PS/2 mouse as well.  It's starting to look =

> like the mouse technology might have something to do with this.  Anyone=
=20
> seeing this problem with a USB mouse?

I've seen this on a Dell D800 laptop --=20

   nVidia graphics
   Pentium-M
   USB mouse=20
   FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE with ULE scheduler

I'm running xdm and windowmaker -- ports all up to date as of this mornin=
g.
I have managed to get the effect to disappear by the following sequence=20
of actions:

   * Apply the patch to sysutils/hal you Joe Marcus Clarke posted
     else-thread.  This had no discernable effect.

   * Disable hald in /etc/rc.conf and turn it off.  Again, no obvious
     effect.

   * Recompile x11-servers/xorg-server and toggle off the HAL support
     in OPTIONS.

Bingo.  Everything is nice and fast again and I don't have to wiggle the
mouse to enter text.  Unfortunately Thunderbird seems to have lost contac=
with Enigmail[*] as a result of these changes and I'm sure there are a fe=
w other
things that aren't working quite right (but then I'm the old-school type
that regards a mouse as a tool used to select which xterm gets the keyboa=
rd
focus.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] This is posted from my home machine so it has been signed.
--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW