Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 15:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Diego_A._Puertas_Fern=E1ndez?=" <dapf@runbox.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A shell question

On Sun, 27 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Diego A. Puertas Fern=E1ndez wrote:

> I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.3 and I've noticed that root can naviga=
te
> trough the history of commands he has typed, but no other user can.
>
> At first I thought that was because root uses csh by default and the othe=
> users use sh, then I changed the shell of everyone to csh but that didn't
> work, normal users still can browse the history of commands.
>
> How can I make it happen?

The original `csh' is no longer a part of the base
installation. `csh' is now a link (ln) to `tcsh'
which is the functionality you're seeing. If you
like/need/want `csh', it's now a Port.

Use `chsh' to change your login shell from
`/bin/sh' to `/bin/tcsh' if you want the scrolling
history list. For users, you may also consider
installing `bash'. Re-login to see your changes.

=2Ecr