Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:21:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wavelan base stations (Re: Aviator 2.4)

Peter Radcliffe writes:
 > The firmware on the lucent gateway forces the first 6 characters of
 > the network name to seemingly random hex digits (not related to the
 > mac address or the id of the unit) and the software won't let you use
 > 90% of the unit's features and won't even let you change the SNMP
 > community string.

It's not really "random".  The network name is set to the last 6
characters of the box serial number.  You can't change it, however.
You are FORCED to use encryption and the encryption key MUST be
exactly 5 ascii characters.  The ascii code for those characters
becomes the 40 bit encryption key.

I'm thinking about writing up a web page explaining the differences
between the Airport, RG-1000, and Cabletron RoamAbout systems.  It
just happens that I have the Cabletron system and two of my relatives
have the other two so I have good experience with each.  :)

/raj