Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 04:27:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd - "failed to write packet back"

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Trevin Chow wrote:

> At 03:49 AM 4/7/2001 -0500, Nick Rogness wrote:
> > > 65535 2 390 deny ip from any to any
> >         ^^^^^
> >         Rule 65535 is denying your packets...You are not allowing
> >         valid traffic...which is why you are getting a "permission
> >         denied".  I would recommend running a allow log rule before it to
> >         see what valid traffic looks like...then do your filtering after
> >         you know for sure stuff works.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  All my rules above it allow for valid
> traffic.  Isn't the last rule applied as a "last resort" if it hasn't
> matched anything above?

	Yes, but you are missing something.  To be honest I didn't look to
	hard at your ruleset.  I scrolled down and seen a deny rule with
	counter hits on it and I see no counter hits on your supposed
	"valid" traffic.  Turn on 'log' on rule 65535.

	The only other thing that could cause something like that is not
	having a default gateway.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
 "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"