Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:23:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Taylor UUCP in large environments

Hey everybody I just finished the conversion of the last SYSV box in the
house to FreeBSD.  I'm going to yank the plug on it this weekend, after
kicking the last of my in-house people off of it.  Heh.  We will be totally
FreeBSD at that point.

On the off chance that someone else might be attempting to set up a uucp
server for thousands of uucp users it might be worth mentioning the problem
that I ran into.

If you have a large site your "sys" file can be huge.  It takes
the taylor subroutines quite a few cycles to parse this file.  Each time
you invoke uux, uuxqt, uucico, ect this happens.  It is sort of like a
two pass compilation of the "sys" file for each uucp command.  To be fair
some of the problem may be our malloc stuff.

Naturally this blew my happy 0-1.5 load averages on the target box up
to above 11.  I made a few judicious patches to Taylor to allow a
"default" user, and reduced my "sys" file to about 15 lines.  My load
averages are back in the happy 0-1.5 range.  If anybody is going to
do something similar email me for the patches.  They are tiny - but
critical!

It is interesting to note some of the other effects that this conversion
has had on throughputs.  The old box had an older ethernet card.  Our
uucp terminal i/o goes through terminal server front ends.  We could
watch the lights on our stack of modems flash-and-pause, flash-and-pause
for jobs on this particular UUCP server.

Now the uucp box is running with an EISA version 3c509/P60 and FreeBSD.
The modem lights just keep flashing and only pause infrequently.  Very nice.
So the SYSV era is over for me.....thanks to the FreeBSD guys - and thanks
Ian too!!

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net