Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 11:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Seeking hardware recommendations

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Peter Edwards wrote:

> Not all 2114x cards have MII PHYs. As mentioned before, some cards' physical
> layers implement media detection through the "General Purpose" register bits.
> And yes, getting it to work for all cases is, to say the very least,
> "Problematic". (Now _theres_ an understatement!).

OK.  I won't concede 10-15% CPU warrants an "Ugh!".  Maybe "1/2 Ugh".
Although it is an unnecessary overhead, you have to consider the entire
range of optimizations: see multicast below.  But I will concede that this
problem (lack of standardized media auto-detect) does get an "Ugh".  I've
heard bits and pieces before, but, this thread represents the first
general statement of the problem that I have seen.

> Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 22 May 1998, Tom wrote:
> > >   The DEC chipsets are not that well supported.  The media detection is
> > > problematic.  There are many variances from model to model (at least a
> > > half a dozen different chipset versions).  Ugh...
> >
> > The failure to auto detect is caused by lack of specific support for PHY
> > specific detection routines.

On the plus side, the 2114x sides do multicast better than most,
and, vastly better than some cards.  Multicast is an "Ugh" for a
lot of other cards.  I don't see why chipset makers can't get all
these correct.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov