Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:08:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

> I am.  But only  27 hours ago,  in 199911231817.KAA01017@dingo.cdrom.com
> you responded to my (referring to the "unable to mount root" problem):
>
> 	> The inability  to boot  after a  seemingly  successful
> 	> install should be eliminated...
>
> with:
>
> 	The only way  to guarantee this is to  cause the install
> 	to  fail unless  the  installation program  can be  100%
> 	certain of the bootability of the install.

There is no contradiction there.  "Eliminated" implies a total fix.
That's just not currently possible.  You could be more scientific and
try to enumerate some of the issues, and talk about how each of them
might be addressed, which would be more productive.

> => WHY CAN'T IT BE AUTOMATED?
> =
> =It has  been. I  don't understand what  the problem is  here. It  was a
> =problem. It's been fixed.
>
> Unless  there  is  some  gross  misunderstanding,  this  last  paragraph
> contradicts the one I quoted from your earlier e-mail. Cookie 2.

I'm tired of this game.  If you care about the issues, read again what
I've said and listen for the points I was trying to make rather than
looking for ways to score "points".

The goal here is to move forwards.  This requires admitting that there
have been problems, and that these problems cannot be fixed in the
past.  You've got the first bit down ok - now try swallowing the second
half.  Then you can start working on the next phase - the solution.