Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:36:05 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 SCSI Tape Driver

On Monday, 15 November 1999 at 11:01:05 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>

>>> Reread/reresponse, sorry- ENOCOFFEE:

>>> Well, read until *BLANK CHECK* seems to be what the driver can and should
>>> do. Let me ponder this some- I believe what I propose actually works fine
>>> for all the devices we currently support (hell, I use it all the time
>>> myself). If you can provide an actual example of a SCSI tape device that
>>> if you take FreeBSD-current or FreeBSD-3.3 and do a 'mt seteotmodel 1' on
>>> and *not* be able to detect EOT, let me know!
>>
>> You won't get ``blank check'' if the tape has previosly been written
>> past where you just finished writing.  Instead you often get trash.
>
> Sorry, no. When you write a tape with these devices there's always a
> leading erased area. That's why if you overwrite the front  a tape you
> can't skip past this area to recover data you really need. A misfeature of
> modern technology.

Is this anchored in the standards?  What about DLT?  What about future
drives?  I certainly wouldn't rely on anything that isn't guaranteed
to stay that way.  What happens if I write a tape on FreeBSD and read
it in on System V?

>> In your other message you talk about the driver getting 2 residuals
>> in a row, well, unless you write the 2 EOF's you won't always get that...
>> depends on if the tape drive does it automagically (which many newer
>> drives do, they write 2 eof's and backspace over 1 of them for you when
>> ever you tell them to write EOF, the drive itself uses 2 EOF's to
>> determine logical EOT :-)).
>
> I repeat what I said in other mail- can you actually show me a tape drive
> where what I propose really doesn't work?

I think this question is the wrong way round.

Greg