Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:25:05 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        "'Philippe Regnauld'" <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads across processors

Paul Richards wrote in message ID
<E40CBF0361C7D111914000C0F0303D1086D3@OCTOPUS>:
> [...]

I'll be brutally honest at this point.

There are probably two reasons to go with UltraSPARCs and Solaris.

1) Solaris is heavily threaded, and some of the designs in the kernel are
   actually pretty neat.

2) The PC hardware platform *BLOWS*. Looking at work at the sort of hardware
   we can deploy with a UE250 or UE450 makes every PC I've ever seen pale in
   comparison. This is not counting the E4000 series machines we have which,
   when combined with Solaris, are pretty nice. e.g. in 2.7, you can hot
   remove and insert any board in a E4000, including processor and I/O boards.
   And if we have any problems, our support contract will get us a spare part,
   and an engineer to install it for us, within 2 hours.

Now, I still hate solaris. But its pretty difficult to persuade someone to
stay with a PC platform which he has to support himself/herself, when (now)
the company I work for has the money to let them go out and buy UltraSPARC
equipment and push all that responsibility onto SMI.

So I think that it is important that effort be dedicated to the UltraSPARC
port and also the Alpha port (which I am helping with when I can). Or perhaps
some other comodity hardware that is not as braindamaged as the PC.

Gary