Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:04:58 +0200
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Large IDE drives and older BIOS?

Hello.

How large IDE drives can FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE support? And is this limit
derived from the underlying BIOS of the computer or not?

I have a 3-year old IBM computer, and I doubt its BIOS will handle disks
larger than 30-40GB or so, and I might be interested in using one of the
new 120GB disks if possible.

Also, are there limitations to the size of the slices or partitions I can
create?

I've tried to look for this information in the man-pages and in the
Handbook, but I couldn't find information about this. So if anyone can
point me in the right direction (or just tell it to me straight away. ;)
I'd be grateful.

--
Eivind Olsen
eivind@aminor.no