Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 00:58:43 +0100
From:      Dean Lombardo <dlombardo@excite.com>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm driver

Cameron Grant wrote:

> i'm doing a fairly major reworking of the pcm driver at the moment,
> implementing new drivers, generalising and tidying up code, moving the whole
> lot to /sys/dev/pcm, etc.
>
> i don't intend to implement any more isa drivers, unless someone gets really
> persuasive.

Excellent!  The pcm code hasn't been actively maintained, and you may
have noticed that there have been a number of unrelated card-specific
patches, which would be nice to have in one place.  The ones that come
to mind are:

1) ESS cards (viz. 1868, 1869, and other various notebook flavours) -
maintained by Yoshiro Mihira:
	http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~sanpei

2) Crystal ISA PnP cards (viz. CS4235, CS4236 and CS4237) - see
freebsd-multimedia archives, message dated 2 May 1999 entitled "CALL FOR
TESTERS: improved (MODE 3) support for CS423x codecs":
	http://garatu.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose/pcm-patch-1.0.tar.gz

3) The recent addition to the pcm driver by Seigo Tanimura et al. in the
form of a MIDI/sequencer (they originally wrote a serial port interface
and recently added an OPL3 driver):
	http://www.naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~tanimura/freebsd-serialmidi/

4) Maybe more?

I think you should coordinate your efforts with these people, lest your
driver becomes yet another set of patches.  After all, I'm sure that
what everyone wants to see in the end is a consistent, fully functional
driver, and not ten billion different hacks.

BTW, both OpenBSD and NetBSD have a MIDI-capable sound driver which even
supports some fairly new PCI cards (e.g. S3 SonicVibes), and which was
modelled after OSS API (http://www.opensound.com/pguide/).  I guess
neither existed at the time Luigi wrote pcm, but I'm pretty sure they
can be of some use now.

> however, for pci, i have a fully working  trident  4dwave driver, an almost
> functional aureal vortex 1 driver, as well as the exsting es1370 driver.  my
> code should be ready for beta in a couple of weeks.  for now if anyone would
> like to send me any pci sound card i don't have, or a motherboard with
> intel/sis's new chipsets with integrated sound, i'll do my best to  write a
> driver for it.

I think I can loan you some cards for driver development and testing
(provided you are in the UK (South-East) and that I will get them back
at some point).

Dean