Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 21:23:59 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:44:02PM -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > -STABLE is called -STABLE these days, but RELENG_X -STABLE is
> > really RELENG_X_Y + changes pending RELENG_X_(Y+1).  Way back
> > when, I think we had a long knock-down drag-out fight about
> > naming of -STABLE vs. -DEVEL, and the expectations users have
> > about the resulting code.  That was where -SECURITY showed up:
> > -SECURITY is a "stable version of -STABLE" (as if things weren't
> > exciting enough... 8-) 8-)).
>=20
> Gah! Too much excitement for me. ;)
>=20
> I'm sure you folks hashed this all over before, but really...calling a
> branch "-stable" when it really isn't is not good semantic practice
> IMNSHO.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER STARTING THIS THREAD!!!  It's been hashed over more
times then are worth counting on various mailing lists which are fully
archived.  If you really care go read the flamewars there, don't start
them on the list.  The signal to noise ratio is bad enough without this
junk.

-- Brooks

--=20

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT