Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave <mudman@metafocus.net>
To:        Andrew Johns <ajohns@firstpointglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ttyv for local only?

I didn't think syslogd was open to the world by default?  Just in case, I
now blocked off port 514 for UDP.  If it was, then I was just running it
open to the world for 2 years and finally noticed :)  I guess its not
commonly picked on.

I also wrote a little program (one of those "in hello world time" to make
things) that watches the file sizes of a small handful of files and fires
off a really loud mp3 if they change :)  A kind of hacky way to see if I
can catch someone red-handed modifying things like ps, sockstat, sh,
getty, etc..

I can't find the entries that the periodic security mailings found.  I'm
just going to hope I am looking in the wrong spot rather than the worse
case that, say, someone decided to go back and clean them up but not
before periodic noticed. :( messages and auth.log arn't showing anything,
but they do seem to show failures I have deliberately generated to see
where they were going.  I am feeling better after the fresh recompile
though.  I'll see how it plays out.  I don't want to format until I'm sure
I'm really compromised or if I'm just tripping, or as you said, someone is
goofing off with my syslogd.