Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:07:03 -0400
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status and future of sound drivers ?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Wouldn't it be better to eesign the Ultimate Sound API (or use the NetBSD one
>
> I think the Open Sound Source people still have the best shot at
> creating a unified sound standard, and having already signed up the
> likes of SCO and Linux makes them pretty compelling.  I've also talked
> with Dev of 4 Front Technologies, and he says that anyone is free to
> grab and incorporate the OSS header files verbatim if they're looking
> for an API target for some free version of the sound drivers.

That would be nice if OSS worked.  Unfortunately, on my home machine
it kernel panics when I touch MIDI, and is broken up and stuttery when
using /dev/audio.  At work it just crashes on install.

Of course, that isn't as relevant to the discussion of using their
free API.  The problem is that a lot of people seem to feel like
nobody should bother working on the sound support, singe there are
these OSS people who will come down from above and save us.  I don't
see that happening.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Time:
 The time is here, and is rapidly approaching.
 - William Field, Member of Parliament