Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryan Rearick <janesays@iway1.iw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager Problems

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, Bryan Rearick wrote:

> Disk Layout:
>
> IDE0a :700Mb HD(Windows 95)
> IDE0b :1.2Gb HD
> IDE1a :16x CDROM
> IDE1b :nothing
> SCSI0 :4.148Gb Seagate Baracudda HD(FAT Part, FreeBSD, Windows NT)
>
> Partition Layout:
> IDE0a : 700Mb [C:(FAT)]
> IDE0b : 1.2Gb [D:(FAT)]
> SCSI0 : 500Mb [E:(FAT)]
> 	1.8Gb [f:(NTFS)]
> 	1.84bGb[(FreeBSD)]
>
> I tried to fix this by using NT's Boot Manager the way it says in the FAQs
> When I boot to the bootsect.bsd it says:
>
> "Non Bootable Partition"
>
> If you have any more questions let me know.

That is very helpful, thank you.

You're probably running into a couple of things here:

1.  The FreeBSD slice is beyond the 1024 cylinder BIOS limit for bootable
partitions.  Your NT kernel is **barely** making it, depending on what
addressing you're using.
2.  The FreeBSD slice is hidden behind an NTFS slice and booteasy may not
like that, so it stops it's search after the NTFS slice.

To fix it, you'll need to either rearrange your partitions or move the
FreeBSD slice onto another disk.  Your second IDE disk would be a good
target.

Hope this helps.